You’ve heard about the need to get grounded.The earth is an electrical planet and it’s no coincidence that your body needs and responds to the earth’s energy. Your body operates bio-electrically. When you get grounded you feel more connected. You feel better physically and emotionally.and research provides many compelling reasons to get grounded.
Let’s explore the benefits of grounding and the tell-tale signs you may need to be grounded. Then we will explore how to receive and deepen your grounding experience. Join me and let’s get grounded!
The original purpose for this research on grounding was focused on the more spiritual aspects of deepening our connection with Mother Earth and finding assistance and support to keep our spiritual light on. However, there are also many practical healthy rewards when you add grounding to your daily life.
Dr Laura Koniver tells us “our bodies are electrical — our heart beat, our brain impulses, our breathing mechanism, our digestion ALL rely on electrical signals to work properly.”
Whether you are seeking a connection to source energy or simply trying to get a good night’s sleep, you will learn the principles to get grounded are super easy and beneficial.
WIIFM . . . What’s in it for me?
Being grounded is all about connecting your body to the earth. This is a simple practice that helps you stay centered and focused. Grounding (aka Earthing) is nothing new and has been done in various ways throughout the past.
Modern society has become disconnected. This disconnection may be the cause of human pain and discomfort as well as the ever rising incidence of chronic illness worldwide.
The benefits to grounding are extensive. Although this list is not complete you are sure to find one or two items that will get your attention.
- Stabilize and restore your bio-electrical circuitry
- Reduce inflammation and chronic pain
- Improve sleep which in turn improves most everything else in one’s life
- Balance your nervous system – normalization
- Negative ions in the earth returns our bodies (which can get overloaded with EMF’s) to a balanced neutral state
- Increased energy & vitality
- Improved mood, feel stronger, supported, more creative
- Improved digestion
- Faster immune response
- Accelerate recovery from intense athletic activity as well as rapid healing of injuries
- Harmonize biological rhythms resulting in:
- Improved circulation, arrhythmias & blood pressure
- Lower stress by normalizing cortisol (the stress hormone)
- Relieve or improve menstrual and female hormone symptoms
- “Vitamin G – a kind of electrical nutrition from the earth” according to Dr. Stephen Sinatra, Cardiologist
- Reduce jet lag
- Return to a balanced, neutral state
- Open your chakras and aids in connecting with angels and higher realms
What’s the problem with grounding?
Modern technology has taken us away from our roots. The buildings we inhabit for work and home, the shoes we wear, the devices we watch are all a part of the current modern problem.
Our feet rarely touch the dirt and that’s why it’s important you have a practice to be sure you get grounded and continue to stay grounded. Most people are deeply disconnected from the way of life that sustained our ancestors and kept them in contact with the earth.
The practice of Grounding is definitely not new however there is not an abundance of scientific evidence. So far the studies have been done on a rather small scale and critics easily claim there’s not enough evidence.
One thing that is not controversial and is scientifically accepted is the fact that our bodies build up a positive charge (think free radicals) and the earth has a mild negative charge. It does not require a rocket scientist to determine there is room for a beneficial exchange.
We know electrical appliances produce toxic electro-magnetic fields (EMF’s). Your computers, mobile phones, WIFI, TV, radio, Bluetooth, power lines, electrical appliances etc. all create electromagnetic radiation. Yes, whatever device you are using to read this is on the list for emitting EMF’s.
Our population is experiencing a high rate of disease and it’s increasing at an alarming rate. Is it possible that the basic need to get grounded is a factor?
It’s important to realize the signs and signals when you’re not grounded. This list will help you determine if it’s time for you to get grounded.
- Your nerves feel fried
- It’s difficult to finish projects, to focus or you feel spacey
- You feel a need for protection/need for safety
- Daydreaming and forgetfulness
- You feel a strong urge to get physical or to go outside
- Feeling physically, mentally, emotionally or spiritually drained
- You’re irritable, angry, drained
- Busyness, constant rushing without being present in the moment
- Clumsy, constantly dropping things or running into things
- Feeling your energy spinning (or simply feeling dizzy for an unknown reason)
- You’re getting static shocks
- Attention empaths – Being easily affected by what’s going on around you; absorbing the energy, emotions, moods and feelings of others and feeling them as if they are your own
These are all indicators that you could use a grounding practice.
How to get grounded! How you can fill-up with negative ions
It’s super simple and there’s no such thing as too much grounding! Please don’t expect results overnight. Although it is possible to receive immediate results, everyone’s body is different. Ideally, you will want to make grounding a part of your daily routine.
- Direct contact with soil is the best and oldest way to get grounded. A walk in nature will do you good.
- Going barefoot is a simple remedy!
- Sit, stand or walk on grass, sand, stone, dirt or even concrete or brick. (Sorry it’s a no for wood, asphalt or vinyl).
- The wetter the better for conductivity – so walk in dewy grass or on the edge of the water at the beach.
- Swim in the ocean or in mineral rich water.
- Hug a tree or simply lean against a tree.
- Garden with bare hands. It’s the contact between bare skin and the soil that is important.
- Wear shoes that are conducive to grounding to connect you with the earth.
- You can purchase leather soled shoes instead of rubber or plastic soles. There’s an amazing number of options online.
- Do Yoga poses like mountain, warrior or tree pose to tap into grounding energy. Do them outside with bare feet for extra benefit.
- Wear or carry stones, crystals or symbols as a reminder to stay grounded.
- Use pink salt or add nuts, beans, root veggies or even add some dark chocolate to your diet.
You can enjoy a series of free barefoot adventures for grounding brought to you by Jaclyn Ouilette. Jaclyn is from Northern Maine and offers a free practice to get you going.
Many people live in regions where it’s not practical to walk barefoot 365 days a year. Our nomadic days are mostly over however there is basic, simple technology that’s readily available to restore and normalize our bodies.
- You can also sleep on a conductive bed mat or maybe you’d prefer to use a conductive floor mat when you sit or work at your desk. Earthing.com has a variety of wearable options go get you grounded.
I never thought much about being grounded until I developed peripheral neuropathy, the loss of feeling in hands and feet. Thanks to chemotherapy I lost feeling in my feet, felt physically off balance and began to consciously connect with the Earth to get grounded. It’s a simple practice that provides a wealth of benefits our ancestors enjoyed naturally.
Whenever you want support and stability Mother Earth is ready to deliver.
What’s your favorite way to get grounded?